Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Cook With A Look



Laura Sanders is the gracious genius behind “Cook with a Look”, a web based company that specializes in making the home cook feel glamorous and oh so special. Laura features three designs of her own creation on her site (classic, modern and vintage) but also encourages you to design your own delight.  I found out about Laura through a mutual friend and though we have not had the pleasure of meeting in person (I do hope one day that we get the opportunity!), I can personally attest to her warmth and hospitality as well as her business savvy. When I ventured to her online store, it was love at first sight. It was immediately clear that Laura is one talented lady who possesses the ability to make us all feel a bit more stylish when wielding a spatula. 

Recently, I caught up with Laura and asked her a few questions. Be sure to scoot on over to her website- to take a gander. Not only do these aprons make a lovely purchase for you but also a charming hostess, housewarming, birthday, and “just because” gifts.


Where do you find inspiration for your designs (colors, textures, style, etc.)?

I have always had a personal "style" that is a little bit this, a little bit that. I love wearing my running clothes out to grab a coffee, then putting on pearls and jeans for company at night. So when it came time for "Cook with a Look" aprons, I wanted to appeal to all different sorts of women, and in a way, all the different parts of me. Each of my apron styles (classic, vintage, modern) represents a certain theme or belief I carry in life. 


My classic apron reminds me that being southern carries a sweet charm that I should embrace.  A southerner's hospitality can make a stranger feel at home or a lonely heart feel loved. This apron reminds me to be proud of where I came from (Raleigh, North Carolina). 

The modern apron centers around black and white prints.  I choose bold fabric for the modern apron, to represent my desire to be straightforward and strong in life. This is not always easy, and should always be done in a loving way. But I do value honesty and want my friends to know that they can trust to get an honest answer when they come to me for advice. The modern apron is vibrant, simple, and straightforward. 

Finally, the vintage apron is somewhat "anthropologie-inspired." This apron is my creative passion. I mix and match colors, textures, and patterns that I would not normally pair and fall in love with what I find! This apron is for the woman searching to express herself, to be crafty, to add some much-needed creativity to her life. 


Do you have a personal favorite apron?  I know that question is likely akin to asking a mother to pick her favorite child!

Hmm....my favorite apron -- that is hard! Especially since as I said, I find parts of myself in each of my aprons. I have a "hostess" apron coming out in August that I am really excited about. Think black and white tiny polkdots, teal ribbon, brown lace, and a halter tie string. It's hard to imagine, simply because it is one of those vintage pairings that's hard to picture, but I really love it. It might as well be a party dress and I think it is darling! Look for it's arrival mid-August. 



What inspired you to start with aprons? 

I started with aprons because I love to cook. When I first got married I dreaded the responsibility of cooking a meal every night. Especially since I got married at 21, I knew I had a long line of "cooking and cleaning" ahead of me. My Dad taught me that if there's work to be done, make it fun. This could mean turning on the radio while washing dishes, dancing around the house while dusting...you get the picture. So aprons are a way for me to make cooking a little more fun. When I feel beautiful, I work better.  

I decided to make an apron for my friend Rachael for a lingerie shower. I wrote a scandalous poem about her wearing only the apron for her husband ;). One of my friends, Jenna, saw it and asked me to help her make an apron. So we headed to the fabric store and spent hours lost in our designs.  She was the one who pushed me to start a business. I owe so much to Jenna, and I am thankful for her friendship and support! 


Do you like to cook? If so, would you be so kind as to share your favorite recipe?

I do love to cook, and to bake for that matter. My favorite recipe depends on my mood and the event, but one recipe I love is a Greek Panzanella from Ina Garten. It pairs well with grilled chicken, burgers, basically any summer dish. 

{food4wibowo.com}


Warning: There is a fair amount of chopping involved. But the end result is colorful, healthy, and flavorful. And the leftovers taste amazing the next day.

What's next for Cook With a Look?

What a great question. I'm not totally sure myself! I do dream of having a whole line of kitchen/table linens that coordinate.  In the near future I'm planning to monogram and embroider napkins.  Other ideas include table runners, place mats, and potholders. I'm always open to suggestions! As long as I'm creating, designing, and selling I couldn't ask for much more! 

Thanks, Laura! It has been a pleasure getting to know you and I wish you all of the luck in the world with your fabulous company!



 

6 comments:

JMW said...

Seersucker aprons?! I'm in love! Thanks for introducing me to this site. I will definitely visit it!

Unknown said...

Hi, these are my new favorite gift idea! Just adorable!!!! Oh, and I'm your newest follower!! :)
Elizabeth

Kalee said...

I couldn't agree more JMW- aren't they divine?

Kalee said...

Welcome, Elizabeth! It is a pleasure to have you here. It sounds like you enjoy Cook With a Look as much as I do- the aprons truly make a perfect gift!

Dovecote Decor said...

I've been looking for a cute apron!! This one reminds me of our old summer uniforms, from the old days.
Thanks,
Liz

Kalee said...

Hi Liz! You are right, there is a certain retro-chic vibe to a number of these aprons. In a way, they sort of look back to a time when a lady would strive to look put together (or "smart" as my grandmother says) at all times, especially one entertaining a crowd.




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow