Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
On Your Next Visit to Hawaii...



You have to eat a Puka Dog! A few years ago, we visited the Puka Dog location on Kauai and everybody in my family fell instantly and deeply in love. My husband is a true blue hot dog fan and he makes the bold claim that this is the best hot dog that he has ever eaten. I have to admit that I have been a vegetarian for most of my life but even I tried and liked this delicious dog. Puka Dog has two locations, one in Kauai in the Poipu Shopping Center and the other is on Oahu in the Waikiki Town Center.

What makes a Puka Dog so special? Well, first the bun is made of the most scrumptious loaf that has a puka (a.k.a-hole in Hawaiian) in one end. The bun is toasted and one of 7 tropical relishes, such as Mango, is poured in. Finally the polish style hot dog is grilled and then placed in the bun. On top of this, a layer of secret lemon garlic sauce is added and the final result is amazing.



*Image from hotdogshops.com, sweetandsaucy.files.wordpress.com

 

9 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh my my mouth is watering. I think I would make a trip to simply just taste that.

This from the girl that is dying to go on a diner, drive ins and dive tour of the US.

Yummy!

Now I'm off to convince the hubs.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Just wanted to say hello, and thanks for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comments, it makes my day :-). That hot dog looks sooooo yummy! When we were in Hawaii, we got obsessed with these fresh fish sandwiches this guy sold on a roadside stand, with fresh slices of pineapple. But, now I think I may have a new obsession :-)

Southern Aspirations said...

We will be there in just over a week!! so will definitely have to check these out. Thank you for the suggestion!

Avian | nestparty.com said...

omg! I love puka dogs!! My husband and I visit Hawaii every December (visiting family) and we've been to puka dogs at least 5 times!! In fact, sometimes I have a strange craving for a puka dog and have to make some of my own! Great post!!

I'm definitely a follower now... since we have SOOO much in common!! lol! ;)

Basil Becky said...

Yes..I have been there.it was great.

Eleonora Baldwin said...

One more thing to love Hawaii for! Thanks for introducing me to the Puka Dog. Now I have to find a way to get one pronto.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment. Feel free to browse backwards in my archives for more deliciousity.

Ciao,
~Lola
Aglio, Olio & Peperoncino

The Antiques Diva™ said...

I love hot dogs and consider it my mention to try street food wherever I travel, but the name "Puka" is awful!! It makes me wanta... well, you get my drift! I think I'll call it a Hawaii Dog when I finally go to Hawaii!!!

Kalee said...

Thank you for all of your comments! I know what you mean, Diva, let's just not think too much about the name- Hawaii Dog sounds good too!Enjoy!

Domestic Diva said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!! Use to summer in Hawaii, have not been back since having my little ones... this makes me homesick!!
Have a fabulous weekend!!!!!
xxxxxx me




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow