Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
My Heart Lives Here



The Italian hill village of Cortona is a magical place that grabs hold of your heart and refuses to let go. I am very fortunate to have done a good bit of traveling and have seen some truly beautiful places. Given that, I have to say that Cortona, Italy is one of my very favorite places. My husband and I intended to only visit Cortona for a day, as we were staying in an Agritourismo (bed and breakfast) in Tuscan countryside but after only a few hours, we altered our plans and set up camp in Cortona.


Cortona is small enough that a visitor can easily become a part of the daily flow of life, which we did and loved. Take a stroll and grab the best tasting sandwich and farro salad from Molesini market. Later, visit Emma and Richard at Bar 500 for a campari and soda and don't be surprised when they graciously provide some nibbles. The nighttime ritual in Cortona is to walk the Via Nazionale, the main street through town, which is narrow and usually features only pedestrians. You will walk beside village elders, the shop dog Bruno (he is a charming pug full of personality), the pharmacist and other local color all doing what they do every single day- taking their daily stroll.





I will post my Best of the Best list for this jewel of a city soon but for now, enjoy these beautiful views.

*Images from gotoitaly.about.com,locr.com, visititaly.com

 

16 comments:

Red Lipstick said...

This city looks like you could just loose yourself...sigh......

Paula Grace Designs said...

My husband and I were suppose to go to Italy for our honeymoon but we didn't go because his mom was in hospice. I would love to get there! When we do, I'll visit this town. Its lovely!

Thanks for the comment on my blog too!

Paula Grace ~

Unknown said...

Husby and I love Italy. I'll have to add this to our list of places to visit :)

David Toms said...

Am going To Italy next week. How far from Florence is this?

Estrella said...

it does looks magical, love italy, i hope i can go there sometime. it shurely seems like a great place to travel.


www.disegnatrice.blogspot.com

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

That is so beautiful! I love those photos and it sounds like such a great non-touristy-trap place to travel!

Chic Coles said...

That is such a beautiful location! I would love to go visit. Cannot wait for the best of the best list!

Unknown said...

ohh my goodness. i love italy so much. venice is the first place i ever set foot out of the country, and i fell in love. such a beautiful, magical country.

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely! Can't wait to see more.

Unknown said...

Sigh .... I've got itchy feet! I love Italy too and can't wait to see the rest of the list.
Cheers, Karen

alekssad said...

Interesting place. You should make more pictures.

My Blog

Chic Coles said...

Looks so wonderful. Looking forward to your best of the best!

Monika said...

I have never been there, but seems like an awesome place!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

OH Wow
You know I LOVE Italy. You might have to share this favourite with me.. he he Just Beautiful. Can't wait for your best of the best. x Julie

Kalee said...

Hi David Toms! I apologize for just now getting back to you. It is only about an hour by train from Florence to Cortona. Just take the Rome-Florence line from Santa Maria Novella and get off at the Camucia-Cortona station. Cortona is about 3 miles away and buses run every 30 minutes from the station to Cortona.

I do hope that you are able to visit Cortona, I know that you will love it! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you should have any other questions. I would love to hear about your trip when you return. Wishing you safe and happy travels.

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

The art school at UGA has a study abroad program in Cortona. Have heard FABuLOUS things about the city, but have not been. However, I don't have a graduate degree yet, do you? Sounds like a good excuse to me!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow