Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
The Importance of Good Lighting


The right lighting can transform a home into a retreat and a room into a masterpiece. I use an abundance of lamps to give my home warmth and for me, variety is key. Different styles, sizes and shaped lamps create a textured, layered and collected look. One of the first major purchases that my husband and I made as a married couple was to buy a large antique Chinese ginger jar lamp with the most exquisite jade finial. It sits on a serpentine chest at the bottom our staircase beautifully illuminating the space.


Almost nothing adds such grace and sophistication to a room as an artful chandelier. Dimmer switches are an excellent way to make a room glow in an instant.



Throw back the shutters and let natural light come pouring in.


When I am at home, candles are almost always burning. Not only do I like the gentle suggestion of a fragrance that fills the room, I also like to have a little twinkle. In the winter, a roaring fire comforts the soul unlike anything else.


Selecting the right lighting, be it sconces, recessed or a lamp, is crucial when setting up a room. I am not a designer but I do know that with the right lighting, a room becomes something much greater than a room with four walls.

*Images from Oneofakindantiques.com, Traditional Home, Jonathan Adler, Pottery Barn, Southern Accents, Southern Accents, Southern Living

 

17 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Lighting is hte most important part of a home. It creates (or destroys) the atmosphere! Nothing is worse than going to a dinner party and the host has all of the ceiling lights on -everyone looks gray & depressing.
Like you said -as many lamps as possible and some candlelight is all you need (even in the kitchen)! task lighting not operation room hospital lighting!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Reading this post reminds me of how much I need to install some nice sconces in areas of our home that don't have much light. Hmm...

annechovie said...

I miss having a fireplace down here in FL, as firelight is the best kind of mood lighting.

JMW said...

Love that lamp in the first pic. What's troubled me lately about finding good lighting is CFLs. I realize they're better for the environment and save you money, but there's nothing like the warm glow of a standard bulb. And, it's hard to read by a CFL. Not great for the eyes. Perhaps that will be the challenge - come up with a better bulb that's both environmentally and aesthetically pleasing!

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

Beautiful lighting examples, and so so true!

vicki archer said...

Lighting is everything - especially lamps and the bulbs that you use in them. Great pics, xv.

Slices of Beauty... said...

Love these, especially the fire place!

Christina said...

lighting is definitely something i pay attention to, mostly b/c bright lights (especially overhead lights) give me horrible headaches! a well lit, not too bright room, is perfect for me.

Beth Dunn said...

Lovely pictures. I love the first lamp xo

Laurel said...

ooooohh! I love all these! I also am a crazed for all sorts if lighting - candles and fires warming a lovely night.
I love this blog!!! Here's to new blog friends!
XO

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Gorgeous! I love looking at all of these photos! The lamp in the first one is divine!

Anne Marie said...

I too agree! even outside in the barn helps a lot - and I really like this new idea of having outdoor lamps, for those who have lovely patios.....

abigail said...

good lighting is so important! and good lamps are so hard to find.
sigh.

Unknown said...

Your Chinese lamp is so beautiful. Its lovely to have a 'sentimental' piece which is not only stunning but also practical!
Cheers, Karen

Kalee said...

Good point, Architect Design! Nothing but direct overhead light, especially of the fluorescent variety, is incredibly harsh and unflattering. Soft lighting is always the best choice for you and your guests.

QueenBeeSwain said...

great post and I don't think some people realize how important lighting plays of a role in a lovely home!

kHm

Julia said...

I completely agree, good lighting makes or breaks a space!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow