Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
The Beauty of Ghost Ranch



When the world became too rushed, crazed and confusing, the painter Georgia O'Keeffe (1887-1986) escaped to the desert and discovered her soul. O'Keeffe called Ghost Ranch home for over 40 years and after the 1946 death of her husband, Alfred Stieglitz, she permanently moved west. The light in the desert here is bold, fluid and incredibly powerful. With each sunset, the beholder feels as if a higher power is taking a giant brush and creating a nightly masterpiece. O'Keeffe was found of saying that if she painted one scene long enough, surely God would give it to her.




There is no denying the power and peace that can be found in this part of the country. I spent a wonderful month studying in Taos, New Mexico and though I am not a painter, can understand the desire to create when viewing such beauty.


Ghost Ranch is located in Abiquiu, which is about an hour and a half north of Sante Fe. There are abundant hiking trials in the area, which is where I found the very best views of Georgia O'Keeffe's beloved home. You can also stay in the retreat at Ghost Ranch and fully experience life in the desert. I suggest packing a lunch and going for a hike in the hills surrounding Ghost Ranch. Find a location where you can sit and quietly follow in the footsteps of O'Keeffe, collect your thoughts, reconnect with your soul and perhaps if you are so inclined, create a masterpiece.




* Images from ghostranch.org and dev.laptop.org

 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing, I especially like the first one....I was really interested to read the information you wrote about her too....I have of course heard of her but really knew nothing about her....fascinating!

Happy Monday!

Confessions Of A Domestic Goddess said...

Thanks for the information! I had never heard about Ghost Ranch,but considering O'Keefe's work, it must have been truly inspiring!

xoxo!

Helen said...

Georgia O'Keeffe is one of my absolute favorites! I remember receiving a calender of some of her works and cutting them out to frame for my walls!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

It looks beautiful! Really peaceful and the colors are just amazing in the photo.

I love Georgia O'Keefe! She was in the same sorority that I was.

Chic Coles said...

Her work is just so inspirational. As well as the area she loved to paint in.

JennyMac said...

Stunning pictures!

Elegant Events said...

Awesome post! I heart Taos :)

Kassie said...

So beautiful! Did you know they are making a Lifetime movie about her?

Kalee said...

I heart Taos too, Regan! Sometimes certain places and experiences seem to glow in a special light- sometimes because of the place and sometimes it is because of the people. For me, Taos sparkled due to both! Let's go back- how does May work for you :).

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Hey again!

I just wanted to tell you that I left an award for you on my blog!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow