Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Thank You Notes- How & When


 As you well know, I am a firm believer in the beauty and importance of a well written thank you note. There is nothing that communicates grace and appreciation better than a thank-you note sent the old fashioned way. That said, it is easy to get a little confused about when it is best to send a note or when a phone call would be sufficient. Below is a go-to guide, according to Emily Post, that is sure to solve all of your thank you note woes!

Occasion: Birthday, anniversary, holiday, and other gifts

Obligatory: Always, unless you have properly thanked the individual in person.

Optional: Only if you have given thanks in person. Even if so, a note in the mail is always appreciated.

Occasion: Shower gifts

Obligatory: A note to each person who has given a shower gift, even if thanks were expressed in person.

Optional: Optional only if someone insists on no thank-you note.

Occasion: Gifts to an ill person

Obligatory: Notes to out-of-towners and calls or notes to close friends are obligatory as soon as the patient feels well enough to do them.

Optional: A close friend or relative of the ill person could write notes on his or her behalf, if desired.

Occasion: Congratulatory cards or gifts

Obligatory: All personal messages or presents must be acknowledged.

Optional: Optional for preprinted greeting cards with no personal message. Form letters from firms need not be acknowledged.

Occasions: Wedding gifts

Obligatory: Even if spoken thanks have been given, all wedding gifts must be acknowledged within three months of receipt, but preferably as the gifts arrive.

Occasion: Host/hostess gift received after visitors have left 

Obligatory: Even though the gift itself is a thank-you, the host must thank his or her visitors (especially if the gift has arrived by mail).
(Images via Boston.com & crane.com}
 I suggest that you print off this list and store it with correspondence items. I keep a little trunk that is full of stationary, my address book, this guide, stamps, etc. that is stored beside my desk, it helps me to write a note in a timely fashion. Check here for my picks for beautiful stationary. My final thought on the subject: it is never inappropriate to write a gracious note of thanks.


 

4 comments:

Maureen Stevens said...

yay! thanks for posting this...I love writing thank you notes!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

What a great guide! I also have a colorful box with all my "thank you note" materials too-- really helps...and I will add this guide to it! Take care, Caroline

Kalee said...

Hi Maureen! Glad that you like the guide- it is such a nice resource to have on hand. Take care.

Kalee said...

Hi Caroline! I totally agree, having all of my correspondence supplies in one location helps keep me organized and timely in writing my notes! Take care.




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow