Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Ga-Ga for Gazpacho


It's not a secret, I love The Barefoot Contessa. As you can see from earlier posts, I often use TBC recipes and am delighted that the final product is always as good as Ina predicted. One of my favorite summer dishes is gazpacho and Ina's recipe is the very best. Try it, I know that you will love it too!

Gazpacho
2 hothouse cucumbers, halved and seeded but not peeled
3 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
8 plum tomatoes
2 red onions
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 - 2 chopped Serrano peppers (my personal addition to the recipe)
46 ounces tomato juice (6 cups)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup good olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Roughly chop the cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1 inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess! Between you and me, I don't do this step and instead chop the vegetables into small pieces. I like my gazpacho to be chunky!

After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer the gazpacho sits, the more flavors will develop. I like to allow the gazpacho to sit overnight in the refrigerator, this allows the flavors to fully blend and develop.

For garnish: This is where I really go crazy. I top mine with avocado slices, a dab of sour cream, and fresh cilantro.

*Image from mealtime.org

Today is your last chance to enter in the Tim Irving giveaway. The winners will be announced tomorrow. Good luck!

 

17 comments:

Anna said...

This looks amazing! Will have to try :)

QueenBeeSwain said...

how can you not love TBC?! or gazpacho for that matter... a healthy twist on sour cream would be to use 0% fat greek yogurt- same taste and texture- no fat and a TON of protein- I'm all for sneaking in lean protein where I can!

kHm

JMW said...

I love gazpacho! The perfect summer dish. I must try Ina's version.

Mindy Lockard Etiquette said...

I love, love, love Gazpacho! Growing up my best friend's mother canned it and we would eat it throughout the year as an after school snack. Oh the memories!

Basil Becky said...

I have had this recipe and it is so great!!!
You have such a wonderful blog!

jdavissquared said...

I've never had gazpacho, but this looks delish! I'll have to try it out!

Unknown said...

Just writing to let you know, you've been featured in the Summer's Stunners: Drinks Special today! Thank you for sharing such a yummy recipe!

Cheers.

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Looks so good! I love, love, love The Barefoot Contessa, too! Everything she makes is as good as promised!

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

I love her!! I haven't tried this recipe yet though, thank you for sharing it!

Unknown said...

This looks fantastic....am definitely going to try it.....thanks for the inspiration :)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I have guests from the U.K. & this would be a perfect meal for a hot summers evening. Definitely will give it a go. The Contessa does not do anything not fabulous does she?!

Thanks so much & happy weekend to you CH ~ deb

Laura said...

Agreed, she is wonderful. I've heard people complain that her recipes are not exotic, that they've seen everything she does before. And while that may be true, you are right that every recipe she writes results in wonderful end products. Plus which she seems like loads of fun!

pve design said...

Funny, my son was asking for this soup, just the other day!
thanks for the recipe.
pve

lily pottery said...

mmmmm! this recipe looks so tasty...i'll have to try! thanks for stopping by my blog today, lilypottery.blogspot.com, it's great to find your fun blog! i'll be checking back!

What Kate Wore said...

Yumalicious, her version of this is just *so* good.

Great pick Miss Hostess!
tp

Kassie said...

I love the recipies you post!

Soyun Park said...

Wow~ Looks just great! I have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing~




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow