Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Best of the Best- Sanibel & Captiva, Florida


Best of the Best- Sanibel & Captiva

My family has been vacationing in the land of the mango sunsets my entire life. To me, the islands of Sanibel and Captiva are a true second home. There is a reason why artists such as Robert Rauschenberg have called the islands home- these subtropical barrier islands are gorgeous and the people are easy going and funky. Beautiful at all times of the year, I enjoy being on the islands most in the winter. It is less crowded, still fairly warm and a sense of calm pervades the area.
  • Go to Captiva and watch the gorgeous sunset. Grab a drink at The Mucky Duck and gather with other admirers on the beach. Local lore has it that at the exact moment the sun dips below the horizon a bright green flash will appear. I have yet to see this but fully believe it to be true. Do let me know if you see the flash! Finish the night with a giant piece of cake from the oh so funky Bubble Room- they are giant and delicious.

  • J. N. Ding Darling. Rent a bicycle and ride through this beautiful nature preserve, which is a part of the largest undeveloped mangrove forest in the country. Or, if you are a bit more adventurous, rent a kayak and float through the mangrove forest and out into the bay. You will see abundant wildlife such as snowy egrets, tree crabs, rosy spoonbills and dolphins.

  • Eat at The Lazy Flamingo and Gramma Dot's. The Lazy Flamingo is a true south Florida dive and is fantastic! Be sure to try the conch chowder and steamer pot, yum! Gramma Dots is a charming restaurant located on Yachtsman Drive in the marina. Get a glass of lemonade and watch the boats go by- I suggest the soft shell crab sandwich and coconut shrimp.


  • Hire a boat and captain or be your own captain, either way exploring the nearby by islands of Useppa, North Captiva and Cayo Costa are a must. All three are only accessible by boat and are uniquely different. For some of the best shelling in Florida, go to Cayo Costa.


  • Visit the Sanibel Lighthouse, built in 1884 and the area surrounding declared a National Wildlife Preserve in 1950. Also, be sure to visit Bailey's Shell Museum for an interesting look back at the island's history.


Would you like my suggestions for places to stay on the island? Please just email me at theconsummatehostess@gmail.com and I will be happy to help!


*Images from captivaislandflorida.com, fws.gov, irelandyachtsales.com, useppa.com, sanibelislandvideos.com

 

21 comments:

Emily Elizabeth said...

I loooove the Mucky Duck and The Bubble Room! I have wonderful memories going there when I was a kid with my family and cousins!

What a trip down memory lane!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I love Sanibel and Captiva- been there several times!! I also love The Bubble Room in Captiva; it's so unique. The sunsets are amazing- memories!

Matters of Style said...

Love love love this area of Florida. I have been to Sanibel and Captiva many years ago, but these days my family spends more time in nearby Boca Grande. It's such a gorgeous part of Florida- very different from the east cost where I grew up!

Helen said...

how lucky you are to enjoy such gorgeous islands!

Confessions Of A Domestic Goddess said...

MDH and I will definitely have to add this to our "Must-See" list, and we'll definitely follow your advice

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

I am so there!

Chic Coles said...

I have always wanted to visit Sanibel Island and it is on my list of places to go. Thanks for the beautiful images!

Caroline in the City said...

I loveeeee Sanibel and Captiva. I went 10 or so years ago and we went somewhere that had "Nascrab" crab racing. Do they still have it?

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

Looks lovely! All of the pictures are gorgeous and I especially love the lighthouse!

Unknown said...

oh dear GOODNESS how i need a vacation there!

Monika said...

This is beautiful! A big disadvantage of living in Europe is that we cannot enjoy such amazing beauties of nature.. I am envy :-)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

My SPF45 is slathered on, my sun hat is packed & my appetite is in check - all for a trip to your lovely Sanibel and Captiva. Thank you for the tour, definitely a place to visit. How wonderful to summer there as a child?!

So glad to hear your husbands family is Scottish. My husband is from Aberdeen. Thanks for your terrific comment. I apologize for being so far behind in reading your terrific blog. I seriously need some harmony! :D deb

Kassie said...

You're writing about my neck of the woods! These are some great recommendations for tourists--fantastic post!

Slices of Beauty... said...

Wow, thanks for posting!
Want to go there now.

Laura said...

Alright, you've convinced me, I'm going immediately!

Kalee said...

Hi Caroline! Nascrab, that is hilarious! I know that Tween Waters Inn on Captiva has hermit crab races, maybe that is what you saw. They have weekly races, I believe on every Tuesday night.

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe The Mucky Duck and The Bubble Room are still there! Did you get one of those strawberry drinks with the pink flamingos at The Bubble Room? Are they as good as I remember as a kid? Thanks for the reminder ;-)

Painted Preppy said...

I have a mucky duck tee and I love the island!

Kalee said...

Hi Highglossblue! Yes, they still have those fabulous drinks. It is almost like The Mucky Duck and The Bubble Room are stuck in a time warp, I swear they have not changed from when I was a little girl. Hope that you have a great day!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I adore Captiva Island. It's been a while since I've been there. I think I might need to plan another trip. : )

Basil Becky said...

Sanibel/Captiva is where I will retire. I have such wonderful memories of the whole Island. I want to have a place where my kids can come visit their old folks and bring their kids to enjoy the wonder of the Island.

I loved your blog




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow