Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Saturday Soiree

Every Saturday I am going to post a new party idea, with my suggestions for food, drink, music and decor. If you have any ideas for a future Saturday Soiree, please let me know!

Today, we are going to throw a Low Country Boil. Low County Boils are a casual and easy way to entertain and feed guests.


The rule of thumb for making a low country boil is that the bigger the crowd, the bigger the pot needs to be.




Recipe:

4 pounds small red potatoes

5 quarts water

1 (3 ounce) bag of crab boil seasonings

4 tablespoons Old Bay

2 pounds andouille sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

6 ears of corn, halved

4 pounds large, fresh shrimp-peeled and deveined

Cocktail sauce


Add the potatoes to large pot, and then five quarts of water and seasonings. Cover pot and heat to a rolling boil; cook 5 minutes. Add sausage and corn, and return to a boil. Cook ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add shrimp to pot; cook 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain. Serve with cocktail sauce. Serves 12.

Decor- Spread newspaper over the top of your table(s) for use as a tablecloth. LCB are perfect for any setting but are particularly great outdoors, less mess for you! There is no need for a plate, the traditional way to eat is straight off the table. For accent lighting, I like to drop a tea light into a mason jar and put several of these around. Gerber or Shasta daisies are the perfect flowers for this occasion.

Music- An Ipod mix of something soft and a little country, such as Lyle Lovett, Nickel Creek, EmmyLou Harris and Robert Earl Keene.

Drink- Abita Amber. This drink pairs well with spicy food. I would also serve individual coke glass bottles and homemade lemonade for those who do not wish to drink alcohol.

*Beautiful image from MarthaStewart.com.

 

6 comments:

Under this Umbrella said...

We love a Low Country Boil in my house and it is such a great and easy thing to throw together for having friends and family over. Love all of your ideas!

theluckiestmrs said...

Oh my, I LOVE low country boil! ;) My parents live in Savannah, and it's a summer tradition for sure!! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I love yours (& I'm a new follower!)

Unknown said...

I've never heard of a Low Country Boil, but it sounds yummy!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Mason jar candle holders is a brilliant idea!

JMW said...

I've always wanted to do a Low Country Boil - maybe we'll finally try it this summer!

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

Thanks for posting! We have crawfish boils here in Texas...since I don't love crawfish, it looks like a Low Country Boil Get-Together might be in order!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow