Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Let's Have a Drink- Derby Cooler


With only a little over a week until the 136th running of the Kentucky Derby, it seems only fit to let the festivities begin online. You can find my recipe for a mint julep here but if you are looking for something a little different, why not try a Derby Cooler? This refreshing drink is a bit easier to drink than a julep but equally delicious.

2 ounces Bourbon
1 ounce light rum
2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
Dash of grenadine
Garnish: Star fruit or orange wheel

Pour all ingredients except the garnish into a cocktail shaker
filled with ice; mix vigorously.

Strain into 2 cocktail classes filled with ice. Add garnish.

Check back all next week for fun and fabulous Derby 
recipes and Derby party ideas!

{Images from kentuckyderbyinfo.com}

 

11 comments:

Sahildeki Ev said...

I wrote this to my receipe book for a little bit of summer fun..:))

rosiecampbell said...

I found your blog after seeing your kind comment about my belts on Annechovie yesterday! Many thanks! You described the perfect outfit for my belts!

As for the Derby cooler. I will have to try that. Sounds like a great drink to have in hand while we watch the running of the roses. Have a great weekend.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Perfect! My friend is throwing a Derby party this year... so excited! Need to find myself a big hat :)

Happy weekend!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Yum...my BF will be there! I can't wait for more ideas next week! xx

JMW said...

Ooo, I may have to try that for our Derby Party! Sounds awesome.

Kalee said...

Hi Rosie! I am so glad that you found my blog, you are one talented lady! The Derby Cooler a nice alternative to the julep, you will have to left me know if you like it. Hope that you have a delightful weekend.

Kalee said...

Hey Jaime! How fun that your friend is throwing a Derby party. Being from Kentucky, Derby is almost a bigger deal than Christmas and we enjoy celebrating the season. A hat is a must but have fun with it, I sort of like a non-traditional look! Enjoy!

Kalee said...

Hi JMW! I hope that the Derby Cooler is a hit at your party. I will be posting recipes and tips all week so check back often:).

Beach House Living said...

A trip to see the Derby in person would be wonderful.

pve design said...

The song -"My old Kentucky Home" makes me weep, so pour me a mint julep to wipe away home-sickness and the tears...
pve

Splenderosa said...

In Houston the Derby is BIG because we have owners of some of the best horses living here.
I got to go with one of them last year, and being in the middle of all the celebrations, parties, behind the scenes stuff is unimaginable. This is so cool, love the post.
I think I shall do one myself, maybe about the people, outfits & hats. xx's




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow