Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Don't Mind if I Do...

The Manhattan is a classically cool drink and is often referred to as the Cary Grant of cocktails. It was created for a party at The Manhattan Club in 1874. According to Hemingway and Bailey's Bartending Guide, Lady Randolph Churchill (that would be Winston's mummy) took the first sip, lifted her glass and toasted, "To Manhattan".


Manhattan Recipe


2 ounces bourbon

1 ounce sweet vermouth

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Maraschino cherry

Pour bourbon, vermouth and bitters into a mixing glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with cherry.

I do enjoy a good Manhattan on occasion, but only one as more than that and I am in trouble! That said, being that it is Thursday and it has been a long week, let's join Mrs. Churchill is saying, "To Manhattan". Cheers!


*Image from esquire.com

 

21 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I think I'm going to have join you for a drink, because it's just been one of those weeks!

Jane said...

Anything those Churchills drank is fine by me. I still can't get over the amount Winston C drank when Prime Minister (and before and after) - one bottle of champagne in the morning, red and white at lunch, gins in the afternoon, whisky later on. Just one of those people I guess. As for me, one a year is probably enought but it looks lovely enough for an end of week drink! xoxo

Splenderosa said...

I think you're someone I would adore knowing. You certainly have a gracious & lovely spirit.
Marsha in Houston

theluckiestmrs said...

A Manhattan is a great way to feature bourbon! Living in Kentucky, I must say I was SO excited to see the bourbon love on this post! ;) Have you had an Old Fashioned? "They" say it was created at the Pendennis Club in Louisville.

Kelly said...

DARLING post! Manhattan's are mighty tasty and a perfect way to welcome the almost weekend! I love the history behind it :)

cheers to thursday!

M said...

Manhattans are wonderful. Mr Mag and I like them bone dry. And made with Makers Mark, of course. (We Kentuckians choose our bourbon of choice early and stick with it!)

Kalee said...

Hi theluckiestmrs! I too like a good Old Fashioned, another classic bourbon drink! Like you and Mint Juleps and Magnolias, I also hail from Kentucky and share in your bourbon love (It's Woodford at our home). Have a great day!

Monika said...

I like this story!! And i would enjoy a good Manhattan right now (in Manhattan if possible :-) Have a nice weekend!

Slices of Beauty... said...

Lovely history there...
Yeah, cheers!

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

As my maiden name is Churchill, I guess I better have a Manhattan this weekend to toast the Mrs......a good enough reason, is it not?

Laura Trevey said...

Cheers!!
Have a lovely weekend ~~

xo Laura
www.brightboldbeautiful.blogspot.com

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

What a lovely history! Cheers to a lovely weekend to you as well~
xo*

Unknown said...

Lovely post :)

I love the history of the "To Manhattan.." story....fantastic!

A cocktail with Cary Grant in Manhattan....a girl can dream!!! What a date that would be!

Have a lovely week-end and thank you so much for all your wonderful comments on my blog, you always say the loveliest things....thanks for making me nice (as my son would say!) :)

Confessions Of A Domestic Goddess said...

I've never had a Manhattan....I might have to coerce MDH into taking me out for cocktails this weekend.

Children of the 90s said...

I'd never had a Manhattan until this year, but I love them now! It's a classy drink to order, too :)

JMW said...

Now I know what I want when I get home tonight...may have to break out the Makers or Woodford Reserve. :)

pve design said...

I love these (only 1) during the holidays - they remind me of when my Mom would come to visit me in Manhattan during the holidays! They are so festive and pretty!

Jeanne Oliver said...

Sounds good to me!

vicki archer said...

Enjoy.... Have a wonderful weekend, xv.

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

I would love one of those. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Aline said...

I haven't had one in ages...will try this weekend!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow