Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Raise Your Glass- She Would be Proud

This delightful read by Tilar J. Mazzeo certainly warrants a celebratory raising of the glass. Many of us enjoy an occasional glass of bubbly ( I have to confess that champagne is my *favorite* drink and I indulge not just an special occasions. I love that by merely holding a glass of champagne, you stand just a bit taller, feel a bit more elegant and a typical day is magically transformed into a celebration).

My love of the bubbly confessed, I have never put much thought into the orgin of the enormously successful champagne empire. And, little did I know that one very savvy lady, the widow Clicquot, cultivated and largely shaped that industry. Reading this book feels like sitting down for lunch at a charming bistro in Champagne with the lovely widow and listening to her re-count her incredible life. Set against the historical background of revolutionary France, the book is interesting historically and enormously entertaining. So, grab a glass, carefully open the book and embrace the lady behind the label.

{Image from thirstyreader.com & luxist.com}

 

7 comments:

Southern Aspirations said...

ooh this book is on my list! I'm currently going through a book on the politics of wine-- it's a very interesting read, actually!

Kalee said...

Hi Southern Aspirations! If you don't mind, I would love to get the name of the book you are reading. It sounds fascinating and I am always adding to my reading list :).

lisa golightly said...

You hit on one of my most favorite of topics ! My friend is a rep for V.C. and told me about this woman ... a very interesting story indeed !

imperfectly natural mama said...

I too love champagne. It's one of the big three's of things I really ought to have less of, including chocolate, cake, crisps and cocktails!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I'm so glad you posted about this book. I know that I would enjoy it tremendously, after all, I love my fair share of champagne. Ever since watching about Champagne, France on the Fine Living Network series 'Three Sheets', I've been charmed about the history. Thanks again and wishing you a terrific Easter weekend x

Karena said...

I too love champagne, and would really enjoy reading this book!

Karena
Art by Karena

Ange said...

My goodness me what a fabulous post! I do believe I shall procure myself the book and follow your advice. I'm a firm believer that any occasion is a champagne occasion. Fabuleux ;-)




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow