Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
More Shoes Than You Can Shake a Big Stick At...

Give a pair of shoes, change a life.

This past Monday, I finished a project that has truly taken on a life of its own over the last six months. After reading an article about the dire need for shoes in 3rd world countries, I decided to start a little shoe drive. Being a fairly active runner (though admittedly not as dedicated as I need to be), I often only use tennis shoes for about 6 months and then give them to Goodwill. That got me thinking about how many others out there are probably just like me and in turn how many people in the world so desperately need our discarded shoes. I sent emails and called nearly everybody that I know and many that I did not to ask for old shoes- regardless of condition or odor (yikes!). I hoped to collect 100 pairs of shoes and ended up collecting an astonishing 1,500 pairs!

The shoes will be shipped, via the oh so amazing Soles 4 Souls, across the country and all over the world to those in need. In light of recent tragic events, the shoes will likely go to Haiti, which makes my heart sing.


Do you have barely used or even moderately used shoes that you are about to dispose of? I highly suggest that you either send them to Souls 4 Soles or drop them off at a drop-off location. Find out more about the organization here.

This little project evolved amazingly into something much greater than its humble beginnings and opportunities have arisen that I had only dreamed of. There is great truth in the following statement, "Give a pair of shoe, change a life".

* A special thank you to my mother for being my photographer & helper and to my father for being my driver!

 

10 comments:

Jane said...

That is an amazing achievement - good on you. I tend to just give my old shoes to charity (I would never sell them) but Soles 4 Souls is a great cause as it is much better and more specifically directed. And if you go through a pair of running shoes every six months you must be pretty fit!

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea!! Congratulations on your wonderful achievement on collecting so many pairs :-)
I'm gonna check the link to see if they are up and running in Australia.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

what a great cause! i just cleaned out my closet of shoes last night actually and was wondering where to donate instead of goodwill. this is great!!!! thanks for sharing!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Thanks for bringing this great cause to light. Who of us do not have shoes we don't wear? What a tremendous job you did collecting 1500 pairs; truly impressive. Kuddo's to your parents too for helping out.

Basil Becky said...

Loved your blog! It was great fun.

CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Wow!!! That is awesome, good for you CH!! Truly, truly impressive. I'll bet some the running stores around town (Big Peach) as well as some of the running teams (TNT, Jeff Galloway) would love in on this project.
Impressed and inspired, way to go!

Beth Connolly said...

Wow-how fabulous of you.

Mindy Lockard Etiquette said...

This is fantastic! Giving back is the most gracious of behaviors. Well done!

BeckyJo606 said...

What a great idea! It makes me so happy to hear of other people's generosity--it is so inspiring to me! Have you ever heard of Tom's shoes? They're pretty awesome--www.toms.com Anyways, I love reading your blog! :)

Unknown said...

-it is so inspiring to me, great post
the jump manual




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow