Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
A Slice of The Season: Pumpkin Pie


 We love pumpkin pie in my house, seriously love it. My husband has been known to gobble an entire pie barely coming up for air (he is a marathoner and cyclist but still). I adore the smooth, velvety taste that this quintessential fall dessert has in every bite. While store bought pumpkin pie is quite delicious, nothing and I mean nothing, can compete with a homemade pie. Recently, I tried a new recipe and was thrilled with the results. It is Paula Deen's recipe that I tweaked slightly. I hope that you and your family enjoy this treat as much as we do! 

 Pumpkin Pie
1 8 oz. package neufchatel
2 cups canned pumpkin, mashed
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 piece pre-made pie dough ( or make your own- more on that later!)
Whipped cream, for topping

How To:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place piece of pie dough down into a 9 inch. pie pan and press down along all sides. Pinch and crimp the edges toegther to make a pretty pattern. Put the pie back into the freezer for 1 hour to firm up. Fit a piece of aluminum foil to cover the inside of the shell completely. Fill the pie shell up to the edges with pie weights or dried beans (about two cups) and place in the oven. Bake for ten minutes or until the crust is dried out and begining to color.

Beat the neufchatel in a large mixing bowl. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt and beat until combined. Add the eggs mized with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon and ginger and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filing into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Cut into slices and top each piece with whipped cream.  Makes 6-8 servings.

I am off to try my hand at homemade pie dough. I am ashamed to admit that I have never made my own pie crusts (gasp!) and have always taken help from the store. That, my friends, will hopefully change this weekend. Do you make your own pie dough or have some assistance? I'd love to hear! Happy weekend!

 

1 comments:

k said...

This is easily the best part of the holidays :)




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow