Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Little Bit of This & Little Bit of That

{Image from here}

 We all can use a little help every once and a while, especially when it comes to creating delacacies in the kitchen. I eat up any tips and tidbits that I can find and as such wanted to share some fabulous tips with you, my darlings!
  • Making perfect cookies is easy when you remember a few things. First of all, the dough is easier to work with after it has been refrigerated for 10- 30 minutes. This will prevent the dough from sticking. 
  • Need to store cookies for a day? Stack in a plastic container and place a piece of wax paper between each cookie. 
  • Out of baking soda? Substitute 1/4 tsp. baking soda plus 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar. 

  • Missing a 1/2 cup of brown sugar? Substitute 2 T. molasses in 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
  • Stinky plasticware? Deodorize with newspaper and then wash before using. Do this and your plasticware will be just like new!

{Image from here}
  • Sticky Crisco? Dip a spoon in hot water to measure shortening or butter, and the fat will slip out more easily.

 

6 comments:

preppyinnewengland said...

Great tips...I didn't know about the baking soda!

Jane said...

I have another I have just discovered: out of buttermilk (which is used a lot in muffins and pancakes)?

Mix 4 parts milk to one part vinegar. Makes the milk go all curdy and buttermilky!

k said...

I love the tips!

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Jane - for buttermilk, you can also use lemon instead of vinegar. And sometimes adding your leavener (baking soda or powder) to milk before adding to cakes, cookies, etc., helps activate the leavener and makes everything rise more evenly in the oven.

Another tip on cookies: If they get dry/hard, put a piece of bread in the jar/bag with them and they will soften up overnight.

Kalee said...

Thanks, Jane! What a great tip- I love it!

Kalee said...

What a great thing to know, Miss Deanna! I have heard of and use the bread trick- works like a charm!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow