Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Holiday How To: Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

Colorful mums enliven front porches, apple cider appears (yummy!) and pumpkin patches abound- with Halloween just around the corner, the Fall holiday season is in full swing. This past weekend, my husband graciously indulged me in my version of an ideal October day. We went hiking at the beautiful Amicalola State Park in search of the beautiful palette of fall colors (not yet...perhaps in another week or so) and afterwards joined the hoards of children and families at a pumpkin patch.  In short- it was great fun and a delightful fall day!

{Image via dawsonvillerealestate.com- the leaves are not yet that pretty}

We arrived home with perhaps the most perfectly round pumpkin that I have ever seen and a jar of delicious pumpkin butter. The next task? Carve the little monster! Honestly, half of the pumpkin fun for me is in roasting the seeds. Below, you will find my go to recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds. 

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Carve pumpkin and place seeds along with orange goo in a colander, rinse thoroughly to remove goo. Spread seeds out on a towel and allow to dry. Place seeds on a foil wrapped cookie sheet (less clean up for you) and toss to coat with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Then, season to your preference. I used a healthy serving of sea salt, cracked pepper and a little bit of my secret weapon-Cajun seasoning. 



Bake at 325 for at least 25 minutes. I like my pumpkin seeds salty and toasty so I went a little longer. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool before serving-yum!


My sweet puppies, Maybelle and Pepper, even got in on the action and helped us carve the pumpkin. Their contribution was the squarish mark on his forehead- this occurred when we were not looking but loved it nonetheless. I think that it adds a certain terrifying factor that was certainly missing before.


Clearly, I need to find a way to remove the permanent marker from this frightening pumpkin. Any ideas? I tried nail polish but to no avail.  Wishing you your own version of a perfect fall day, my lovelies! 


 

5 comments:

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Almost all the leaves are on the ground here in the Northeast. We just made our last batch of cider on the farm. Only pears left in the orchard. Do you think you could roast squash seeds similarly? Would be a tasty garnish on a hot bowl of butternut squash soup!

Kalee said...

Hi Deanna! How lovely fall must be in your neck of the woods-complete with homemade apple cider. That sounds like heaven! Anyway, you can absolutely roast squash seeds using this method. I would probably just lower the heat and roast for about 20 minutes or so depending on your preferences. You will have to let me know if you like the roasted squash seeds!

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

Thank you for this recipe. I love pumpkin seeds and they are so good for you too! Tasty, and lots of antioxidants...now that is my kind of snack! You have inspired me to attempt roasting a batch of this tasty treat soon!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

We have several pumpkins to carve...so thank you for the pumpkin seed recipe...I remember baking them when i was a child...and have not done it since...will do it this year! Take care, Caroline

Suzy Q said...

What about taking a paring knife and ever so slightly trimming off the black marker leaving the main cuts alone?




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow