Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Run for the Roses



The Kentucky Derby is referred to as "The Run for the Roses" and this is due to the elegant rose garland that is draped over the winning horse and rider. Each year, a garland of 554 red roses is sewn into a green satin backing with the seal of the Commonwealth on one end and the twin spires and number of the running on the other.

This lovely tradition began in 1883 when a New York socialite decided to hand out red roses to the other ladies. Shortly thereafter, the president of Churchill Downs made red roses the official flower of the race.

Each year, the garland is created a local Kroger store on Derby Eve and the event causes quite a stir. If you happen to be in the area, stop by and take a peek at history in the making!

*If you decide to host a Derby party this year (and I hope that you do!), be sure to take advantage of the official Derby flower and decorate your home with beautiful red roses!

{Image from kentuckyderby.com}

 

7 comments:

Gwennie said...

Thank you for your posts about the Derby. I am hosting my first Derby party this year, and you are providing great inspiration.

Beach House Living said...

I was a Church Hill Downs once but not for a race just a tour which I liked anyway. It was pouring of course.
It is a splendid place.

JMW said...

We'll have roses all over for our Derby party on Saturday (alas, we don't have tickets this year). Oh, well. Plenty of juleps, good food and betting will be taking place. Enjoy!

Kalee said...

Thank you for your kind words, Gwennie! Good luck with your party- send me pictures, I would love to see what you create for your guests!

Kalee said...

Hi JMW! Enjoy your party, I am sure that it will be nothing less than a fabulous soiree!

red ticking said...

would love to attend one day... until then, thank you for your amazing posts. have a wonderful weekend! xx

escapade said...

I loved this little bit of trivia - hope you have fun at your party!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow