Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Solo Goya



I am a graduate of Southern Methodist University and SMU's Meadows Museum is widely regarding for having the most important collection of Spanish art outside of Spain. The collection is small but impressive and is housed in a stunning building on the main horseshoe of campus. My senior year, I was fortunate enough to co-curate a show at Meadows entitled, The Master's Touch. The show featured four different original Goya prints and was great fun to research and create. It was through this work that I developed my deep appreciation for Spanish art, especially that of Goya and Velazquez.

This painting by Goya features the artist's alleged mistress, The Duchess of Alba. She is pointing her hand at the sand in front of her which reads, Solo Goya. Perhaps this is a nod to Goya's vanity or maybe a statement of true love, I am not certain. I have always been very drawn to this magnetic image. Her solemn expression is captivating and the detail in her clothing and shoes, incredible. The painting is housed at The Hispanic Society of America, in New York and was completed in 1797.

*Image form knowledgenews.net

 

5 comments:

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You are right, the intricacy of her dress is remarkable. Such a lovely work of art. Thank you for the story about this lovely woman/painting ~ deb

Anna said...

I always loved Goya's work! That's definitely a good one.

Kassie said...

I'm very impressed with your senior year assignment!

Megan said...

I studied Art History in college, and my Spanish art classes were some of my favorite! What a great exhibit to attend!

Southern Aspirations said...

Awesome! I studied Goya in High School Spanish, actually (and Velazquez). Because of that, I've always felt a connection to them- more than many other artists. But have only appreciated from a distance. What an awesome opportunity for you!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow