Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Delicious Pimiento Cheese


It is said that pimiento cheese is the paste that holds the south together and if you have ever tasted it, you know this statement to be true. I love pimiento cheese, all kinds and on just about everything. Recipes such as the one below can be closely guarded in the deep south, passed from generation to generation like a beloved silver tea service but rather than do this myself, I now pass this Holy Culinary Grail on to you my beloved reader.


2 8-ounce blocks sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (it is important that the cheese is room temp)

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened

2 4-ounce jars diced pimento, drained

10 green olives, diced

1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped

1 tablespoon finely chopped onion

1 cup mayo- if you can get your hands on it, use Duke's

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1-2 teaspoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper

*Makes 5 cups


In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Process until slightly creamy, you don't want any large pieces of cheese to remain. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keep this on standby for when a friend or neighbor randomly stops by, it is is addictive!

This is especially good when served on vegetable crudites, grilled baguette slices rubbed with garlic, crackers, used in place of a slice of cheese for a cheeseburger or slathered on two delicious pieces of crusty sourdough bread and grilled.
* Image from artnet.com

 

15 comments:

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Sounds great. I LOVE p&c.

Thanks for your comments on my blog! I just updated today's post-- the country house is located in Meriwether Co, Georgia.

Kellie Collis said...

Oh yum....I am very jealous i adore cheese just cant eat it anymore!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You know I have never been a fan of pimento but your recipe looks fabulous. I must give it a try. Many thanks CH!

pve design said...

I adore "benedictine" cheese and we would make this, then graciously serve triangle shaped tea sandwiches with fresh brewed ice tea...
Cucumbers (peeled and seeded) - cream cheese, scallion, worcestershire sauce and a bit of fresh ground salt - heavenly!
pve

Haven and Home said...

My Husband loves pimento cheese, I can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Domestic Diva said...

Thank you for this recipe!! This is perfect of Toddy Time!! Have a fabulous day!!
xxxx me

JMW said...

MMMM, I love pimento cheese and crackers! Will have to try your recipe. And, I second PVE Design's love of Benedictine cheese. So few people outside of Kentucky (it originated here) seem to know about this type of spread. Try it if you haven't!

Kalee said...

Love all of your comments! I adore Benedictine, it is one of my favorite spreads. I also happen to be from the Bluegrass state and you are right, most people outside of the state have not even heard of this delicious spread.

vicki archer said...

Delicious...I shall have to try it, xv.

Posh Peach said...

I LOVE pimiento cheese. Yum yum! I love mine on toasted bread with tomato. My mom always fixed it for me when I was growing up. I've always wanted to try it on a hamburger too.

Brunch at Saks said...

I have never tried it! Sounds delicious though!

Hillary said...

I've never had pimento cheese (that I can recall anyway...) but it sounds great. I might have to give it a try.

Basil Becky said...

I have been served this treat by you and it was heavenly!! I love it!

Blue said...

To hell with the cheese, pour me a DarknStormy. Sounds fab.

Matters of Style said...

Looks good!! And you are so right about Dukes. Nothing else compares!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow