Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Oh My- Birthday Pie



Today is my husband's birthday and in honor of his day, I decided to make him a special treat. Rather than do a traditional cake, I decided to make him chocolate pecan pie or otherwise known as a Derby pie in my part of the world. After all, he is a southern gent who is a chocoholic, what could be more appropriate? The final result was delicious and was eaten immediately! Though I lack a picture of my pies (I dropped my camera in a puddle in Antigua-opps!), hopefully you can get a sense of how fabulous it is. Below you will find my recipe, enjoy!

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or more according to preference)
1 & 1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 unbaked (9 in.) pie shells
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons bourbon

* A nice variation would be to add toasted coconut to the recipe along with the chocolate and pecans. Tasty!

Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans in the pie shells. Combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup, eggs and bourbon in a bowl and mix well. Spoon into the prepared pie shells. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown. Garnish with vanilla bean ice cream and mint sprigs.

* Image courtesy of rachelray.com. Astonishingly, my pies actually resembled this one!

 

6 comments:

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Oh my a almost happy belated birthday to your sweet (& he'll be really sweet now) husband. I swear my spouse would of never married me had I not known how to swoon him with cooking. This would of gotten him to say; 'I do', after the first month! I will most certainly be trying this recipe out, especially If I need my way about something. Thanks CH & hope it was a great celebration?
Cheers x

Karena said...

A very favorite Pie, yummy!! I love it!

Karena
Art by Karena

vicki archer said...

What a delicious birthday cake and I can see why he enjoyed it so much....I hope the celebrations continue through the weekend, xv.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Happy belated bday to your hubby!

I love pecan pie- I can only imagine how yum this one is w/ chocolate!

Kalee said...

Thanks for your kind words, Dumbwit Tellher! I hope that your husband enjoys the pie as much as mine :).

Kalee said...

Hi Jaime! If you are a chocolate fan, feel free to increase the amount. In my book, the more chocolate the better!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow