Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
A Tale of Two Olympia's


Paul Cezanne is an important figure in the history of art. His work bridged the gap between Impressionism and the more avante-garde trends of the 20th century. Cezanne was particularly interested in the weight of objects and how the mass of one object related to and effected that of another object.



One of my favorite Cezanne images is the one above, A Modern Olympia, which is a delightful play on Manet's scandalous Olympia (below). Cezanne used a palette knife, rather than a brush, to give the piece a joyful, textured and utterly haphazard look, much different from Manet's piece.



Cezanne's work was painted in 1873 and Manet's in 1863. Both paintings can be found in The Musee d'Orsay in Paris. What do you think? Which painting appeals to you? Do you like the vibrant colors and energy of Cezanne's painting or do you prefer the more academic and controlled look of Manet's?


*Images from Paul Cezanne.org and signatureillustrations.org

 

8 comments:

Southern Aspirations said...

Very interesting! Love the Cezanne piece- his use of colors is fantastic.

Magdalena said...

I adore both and can't pick my favorite. I saw them at the musee d'oray and they are spectacular. I'm trying to think that if someone were to give me the one of my choice which would it be??? Possibly the Cezanne.??
Bunny

Sahildeki Ev said...

I particularly like vibrant colors..Visiting museums in Paris is probably the thing that enjoyed most..When I was travelling for business, I always tried to sneak a museum visit to my agenda..

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I like the original. I didn't know about the Cezanne version...fascinating!

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

I love Cezanne! That is a gorgeous painting!

Kassie said...

That was so interesting! What beautiful paintings.

JMW said...

I lean toward Cezanne...love his work.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

The styles and techniques were changing quite a bit in that time - Manet early - then the impressionists - the some of those guys took off in other realms - Cezanne - all the color. Matisse, etc. Love it all.




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow