Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
A Moment for Manet



Edouard Manet (1832-1883) is considered the father of modern art and his controversial works would inspire a group that he would never consider himself a part of, the Impressionists. This painting is entitled, The Balcony, and is a favorite of mine. It can be found at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. The figures in the piece were all close acquaintances of Manet, notably the great painter Berthe Morisot who is in the front. Morisot would enjoy a close friendship with Manet and later marry his brother.


This painting was so avant-garde because it does not tell a story and the artist took significant liberties with realism and tradition. It gives the reader a charming peak into the lives of these fashionable individuals. I love to envision what they are watching- is it a parade or merely the river flowing by? What have they been doing or where are they about to go? Notice the playful puppy at Morisot's feet and the beautiful blooming peonies in the blue and white container, the details make the painting come alive. For me, it is a painting that gives the viewer an opportunity to paint the rest of the scene.

*Image from museed'orsay.fr

 

8 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

Beautiful! love it xoxo

Under this Umbrella said...

I love this painting. I have seen it twice at the Musee d'Orsay.

I love that you posted about this...thank you. It just made my day.

JMW said...

Love Manet. I had a calendar of his work that adorned my kitchen last year. It was such a treat to see his work each day (even if it was in such a commercialized entity as a wall calendar!)

annechovie said...

Such a timeless painting!

Laura said...

Wonderful post! I must admit that they look at bit angry at one another...a love triangle gone wrong perhaps?

Conversation Pieces said...

Lovely... I can honestly say that I'd never really wondered what they were looking at... I'd always just thought they were looking at me when I was looking at them! ;)

Rachel Follett said...

I love your take on this beautiful piece of art. Manet is one of my favorite artists and in school I chose one of his pieces to replicate for a class and I literally felt as if I was painting like he would. Mixing the colors and using similar brush strokes. It was quite an invigorating feeling. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I am glad you enjoy it!

Sierra said...

Lovely piece of art, I never grow tired of seeing beautiful art that showcases history. My first time to your blog from Brunch at Saks! Great blog!




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow