Welcome!

Kalee
Athens, Georgia
Welcome to my little world- I am thrilled that you are here. My most sincere hope is that this little blog is a source of laughter, inspiration and some seriously fabulous food (even if it is vegan!). Is it possible to maintain a vegetarian lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line? Come along with me and find out as I pound the pavement, travel and eat my way through life. Cheers!
View my complete profile

A collection of recipes, traveling and entertaining tips.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Help People. Have Fun.


I think that in uncertain times, it is especially important to look outside of the current situation and be of service. There are so many ways to do this, for example, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate an old dress to a Dress for Success program, walk dogs at a local shelter or be a mentor to a child. A new form of travel that provides a way to be of service is to go on a voluntourism trip. Globe Aware is a non-profit organization specializing in creating "Adventures in service", or significant voluntourism. They strive to help people and have fun.

Globe Aware adventures take place all over the world in locations such as Peru, Brazil, India, Laos and Mexico. The trips are researched in depth and are designed to be helpful, safe, culturally appropriate and fun. I am very interested in doing either the Cambodia or Peru trip. By all accounts, these trips are incredibly rewarding and provide a fascinating glimpse into a different culture. The GA site offers great fundraising tips and resources if you would like help covering the expense of the trip.






Recently, Globe Aware has been featured in such notable news outlets as Travel & Leisure, CNN, NPR, The New York Times, Newsweek and Budget Travel. Check out http://www.globeaware.org/ for more information.
*Images from globeaware.org.

 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post, it would be a fantastic thing to do, in so many ways. Keep us posted!

Kassie said...

I love Globe Aware and all the new voluntourism places. It's such an incredible concept!

Chic Coles said...

I would love to do one of these trips! It would be a great way to do volunteer work but also visit a different country and culture. Peru would be my pick...Central and South America are on my list of favorite places!!

annechovie said...

Sounds very interesting! Thank you for your kind comment today!

Julia said...

I've never heard of anything quite like this! Incredible! Thank you for letting us know :)

JMW said...

What a great idea! This would be such a better alternative to taking teenagers on Spring Break to Mexico of Florida. They would see amazing sights, plus learn so much about others who live very differently from themselves.

Mrs. LC said...

Globe Aware sounds like a wonderful organization! I can't wait to visit the site and learn more about it. :)

I'm also thankful you stopped by my site so that I am now familiar with yours! Love it!

orange sugar home said...

beautiful blog and what a great message to pass on. thanks for visiting osh!!

Diana said...

This is a great idea! I would love to do something like this. It's so easy to write a check and say the deed is done. There is always more to do.

Kelly said...

i love this post! it's always good to get the awareness out!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Beautiful blog. You seem the perfect hostess.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Wonderful post & so inspiring!
We should do a little more to help...a little something-something is better than nothing at all-I'd say!
xo*




Cherished Friends

Search This Blog


(C) 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow